Elementary Dry Run

I have just run through my performance in a very elementary state in my bedroom doing all possible “tech” by myself. This has proved very helpful in the execution of my transitions. Despite having planned them through in my head and on paper, doing them physicality has alerted me to a few points.

Firstly, the subtle changes of outfit. Between each spotlight I will be changing my upper body’s clothing. Whilst trying to do this in this run I have found that if I want to change on stage and walk between the spotlights, these changes will have to be smoother whilst being visible to the audience.
I can approach this in one of two ways. One way would be to have stands that I choreograph a movement to putting on the next top. The other way would be in a very blunt and Tim Crouch style way. It would consist of having each top laid in the crossover between the spotlights and I simply take off and replace each top.

Secondly, another discovery in the transitions was sound. Although the spots are overlapping and gaps between each monologue are minute, there seemed to be a need for sound, or at least something to fill the gap whilst I change top. Eric Bogosian would walk off stage to change or simply walk to the back of the stage and then forward again to transition between each character. This would work for my costume changes but aesthetically would hinder my performance as I want the transitions to be metaphorical as well as physical creating deeper links between the characters. This will be achieved through the walking between the overlapping lights.

I am now sourcing ways to solve this problem. In one instance I now have a hymn being sung which turns into a football chant of the same melody. This is a simple yet smooth mechanism, which I hope will be pulled off in the performance.