My Structure

I have finalised my structure which consists of five male archetypes. All of which have both obvious and covert aspects of masculinity to their personalities. I also want the characters to have struggles and fears just as much as they have strengths. This will be hard to portray whilst improvising several characters in such a short time. If the fronts these characters put on are so recognisable it will give myself and the audience the time to find their weaknesses.

The Usher

This character will be an elderly man with a welcoming tone to his voice, he will inspect the audience’s tickets and show them t their seats. I will alter my body to show a slightly shrivelled man. Here I will be showing masculinity in relative terms. This character in everyday life has little power or authority and potentially is berated with insults. Despite this, in the cinema, or the theatre, he is in control and dictating people where to sit.

The Chav

This will be a modern day interpretation of masculinity, which I have been brought up with. This is the teenager that hangs out with mates being an idiot and ogling over girls they will never go and talk to. He will put all his effort into stupid ideas and sees being smart as a weakness. As I was surrounded by these people when I was younger I have more than enough material to spark off from when improvising this character.

A prime example of what I want to achieve on stage. He is even in my trolley!

The Hairdresser

With the ‘The Hairdresser’ I want to question the sexuality of men, and specifically homosexuality. I am going to take inspiration from this article which talks about homophobia and football.

Masculinity Journal

I want this character to be effeminate to again heighten a different side to masculinity and essentially being a man.

The Football Fan

This will be the bloke you find down the pub talking a lot with not a lot of substance. The classic football fan who lives for football because he needs a distraction from his life. For this character I have been watching several videos of chants to decipher the roots of the army like camaraderie of being a football fan.

Here is a video of some fans taking over a train with their “banter” aimed at a school boy.

The Showman

My final character will be the stereotypical front man of a band. Despite looking cool and amazing on stage, in life he is just an idiot whose arrogance pushes people away. Money is what he lives for but he is nothing without his band. This character is going to be based on the countless men, like Axel Rose, who have destroyed their bands because they believed they have outgrown them.